Sunday, January 10, 2010

Clarity








Recently, I was criticized for my being a poor 'photographer.' I do things, and the good I might wager my life often times requires my experience to put itself into the risk which is text.When I do not write about things, I might snap a photo, at the risk of popular acclaim and derisive disillusionment. I know nothing of 'photography,' which, to me, is a reification or hypostatisation. No, I write, admittedly, too infrequently. I might bring along, in my pocket, a device, and use this device for a benevolent purpose, to show something I neglected to impute with the worth of language. And for my neglect of language, I confess my guilt. But my confession ends here. I do not bow to the artifice of 'photography.' Nor do I malign it, as it can be a beautiful advocate of freedom, as I myself rely on its artifice. But it must, as a definition of its ontology, serve something else. And when it usurps being, experience, exploration, risk, and creation, it must sit down, rest, and consider itself tyrant. I mean no harm against those who profess its worth, but I cannot, and will not respond to my ignorance of its artifice. It falls below the hierarchy of risk that I value.

2 comments:

  1. "The beauty of the area is obvious when looking at these pictures, but, what led to the extreme degradation in your composition/editing skills between yesterday's "sacred 1" post and this post today (sacred 2)? There is hardly an image worth a damn in this post. I like the one where your flying down the dirt road at 50mph behind the woman's SUV, but the others are rubbish. The 7th image seems to include Blanca peak, the most sacred of the 4 sacred mountains to local native peoples."

    and

    "So you keep messing up my comments, by adding additional images to old blog posts? Making me looks like a big dum dum."

    AND

    My "capticha" word to post this was "Snexual"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old post is re-posted here to show, that in fact, you have not been criticized nor called a "poor photographer" in any of the comments on your blog (or to my knowledge, outside of your blog, though I have no way of knowing anything about that).

    The words "extreme degradation" imply that you were in fact considered a stellar "compositionist/editor" sometime very recently before.

    ReplyDelete