This is a
good etiology, the surplus. It gives a man power and levels those who
have the funny numbers in the bank accounts and feel special. There is
much wild here, much beautiful, much distracting. It would be fine for a
man who is riding, he stops a few days, and then continues on. But in
my contemplation to live here, already this commerce takes away too much
of my energy. Looking for a t-shirt yesterday, any cheap cotton t-shirt,
I wasted too much time. I want back the life of my being on the road.
It was good and severe in Argentina and I told myself I would never go
back to the cold. But last night I had no energy to see the city. I know
too much now--the result of a party, even with the beautiful women of
the city, would be weakness and weariness in the motning. And the only
way of living possible to hit the clubs and get the women is a life of
surplus pursuit, because Rio, and perhaps Brasil, is controlled by the
successful pursuit of surplus.
I thought I could rent an apartment and practice the language but
once I take the bike away the whole journey has lost its meaning. I can't do it. Those italics just appeared out of nowhere and I can't see the
screen on the sun but they are good and fitting italics.
All of a man's senses are destroyed by the surplus. He becomes
like the three ovejas on the boat at Villa O' Higgins, terrified to move
and playing dead after the ties to their legs were cut. I have nothing
to unleash.
One could say that there is something wrong with such a man
who can't adopt. Perhaps the Brazilian men would criticize me. Yet they
also would not be the ones who kayak, run, cycle, and climb across the
world. This is the activity that makes me happy.
What a thing, a man who wants to rest but is only happy when
he is on his bicycle. It is better than a drunk who must have his beer.
It is better than the cocainista who must have his blow. It is better
than the man of surplus who must have his surplus.
The question we must ask the bicycle man is: Oh man of the
bicycle, tell us of your way of being. And he says: don't confuse me with the Buddha or the sitting, for I am nothing. I am
the dogs who run with me. I am the polenta at night which doesn't warm
my spirit but warms the spirit of my journey.
And so the man of the bicycle rarely has anything to say. He
listens to many stories yet he rarely says anything. Rarely do the
westerners have a heart for his stories. He must go to where there is
cold and wind and open pampas if he wants to speak to a man. And sadly he
realizes there is no way to use any of his life of surplus to be happy
every again. He cannot purchase a bus ticket to Patagonia as he must
arrive to the holy land by foot or by bicycle or by horse. And so
Fabian, his friend in cold snowy pampas, is very far away. Perhaps it
was a mistake to fly to Rio but I didn't have it in me to ride up Ruta
3, Christ, in the cold I had defeated. I think of the men who go on a
second tour in war.
Brasil was a challenge against the matrix as its toxic waves
washed up against the shores of a happy, tropic people. How the
Brazilian people smile, eat, and make babies as the large matrices
shamelessly kill them and exchange their lives for the life of surplus
in the cities.
How much of the surplus is the of the people and the richness
of the foods and the ice slush in the cold beers and the music and dance
of the city? Aren't these just the same things the people would do
outside of the surplus of the city and in the abundant surplus of the
jungle? This is the great paradox of Brasil and perhaps of the jungle.
There will be a time for me to sit and it is not now.
No comments:
Post a Comment