The mind can overcome all factors of touring, whether technical, physical, or geographical. I know Dr. Moraline did break ribs, bicycle, and head in one wreck, but I believe he overcame this, and slept deeply with his concussion. I imagine he learned the significance of brake pads and proper brake cable adjustment, just as I learned the importance of hub adjustment (see below). What may change, due to these technical factors (when contrasted against expectations for the absence of these technical factors), is distance covered, and this can be of consequence for shelter or the meeting of a strict itinerary. Upon my return I discovered my rear hub exhibited the characteristics of a pepper grinder. This was somewhat noticable as it would stutter and attempt to seize on certain descents or flat stretches. I attributed the slowness of the climbing to myself alone, because climbing is too significant to attribute to anything but one's will. The second technical factor encountered was a cleat which had slipped all the way to the bottom of my right shoe, due to improper tightening on my part. After 5 days of strange left knee pain (due to one leg's being effectively shorter than the other by 1/2 inch), I discovered the technical factor and made adjustments.
Mileage could have been increased if these technical factors had not existed, but then again the nature of the experience would have been transformed. Longer saddle time due to slower speeds generated additional phenomena, which was all overcome by a combination of intense conversations with trees and oceans and mountains, 'road songs,' and frequent breaks to snap photos. During the narratives and photographic essays to follow, I will limit references to technical factors. There are far less fit riders who would have covered significantly greater distance due to their mental stamina, and conversely stronger riders who would not tour at all due to the prospect of a 50 pound rig, uncertainty, and isolation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The strength you discovered on this journey. The joy that hit you in the head. I too was on a journey. I did not cover miles on a bicycle but was exposed to new things. These things that I discovered in the country between San Francisco and Portland as well. I will show you some of these things. Some of these things can not be shown.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read about the sitdown. I suppose such a sitdown is an event one should attend one time if only to understand it and why she demands it. But after that, and whoever it is that demands a sitdown the next time, she should be told where to stick it.
ReplyDeleteFeels about right shorting the euro again here too. GiddyUp!
ReplyDelete