Monday, July 13, 2009







.

The riding along N260 and D914 was brutal--not because of the climbing, which was brutal--but because of the gale-force head and cross winds. They would last until the next day, when they would suddenly disappear. I should have saved that for later, but I will build up more momentum as the story goes, and hopefully post some video. But despite having good legs, a good bike, and the best of intentions, the winds made it very tough. Constant strong wind affects the hearing and normal pacing instinct. You expect that you will travel a reasonable distance after a reasonable amount of effort. When you do not travel a reasonable amount, you begin to take issue with the wind. When you begin to take issue with a force of nature which acts independently of your bike journey, you have a potentially serious problem. Fortunately, the wind stopped after two days. I don't know what harm I would have tried to inflict on the wind, but I might have tried.

Did I mention the tunnel? Before I expired in Banyuls-sur-Mer, I encountered two tunnels--one 600 meters long and one about 100 meters in length. I was doing poorly in the hot, windy, beautiful climb, and then suddenly I saw a large mountain standing in the way of my path. "Oh, no," I thought, " certainly they don't want me to climb that now, it wouldn't be fair." And then the tunnel appeared. Nice tunnel.

After the tunnel, I reached the French border. I tried to take a video and was nearly blown over. I am 180 pounds, have a 26 pound bicycle, and have 25 pounds of gear. Nearly blown over a dozen times. Strong wind, and strongest as I passed the French border, as if they had wanted me to stay back, stay in Spain.

2 comments:

  1. "Nice tunnel."

    We used to say that about Anya in Split, Croatia. We all had her at different times and she was always willing. That's what tunnels are used for. A good tunnel is hard to come by though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I'm more or less 160 lbs.

    ReplyDelete