Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Elevator Girls

The following passages, in which I spill my aching love, is dedicated to the very many cute women who I cannot speak to on any level, and who tire me due to the acrobatics I must engage.

First Part of Love Poem (Zettel)

220. Consciousness in another's face. Look into someone else's face, and see the consciousness in it, and a particular shade of consciousness. You see on it, in it, joy, indifference, interest, excitement, torpor and so on. The light in other people's faces.
Do you look into yourself in order to recognize the fury in his face? It is there as clearly as in your own breast.
(And what do we want to say now? That someone else's face stimulates me to imitate it, and that I therefore feel little movement and muscle-contractions in my own face and mean the sum of these? Nonsense. Nonsense,--because you are making assumptions instead of simply describing. If your head is haunted by explanations here, you are neglecting to remind yourself of the most important facts).

247. For what does it mean "to discover that a sentence does not make sense"?
And what does this mean: "if I mean something by it, surely it must make sense."
The first presumably means: not to be mislead by the appearance of a sentence and to investigate its application in the language-game.
And "if I mean something by it"--does it mean something like: "if I can imagine something in connexion with it"?--An image often leads on to a further application.

255. How can one learn the truth by thinking? As one leans to see a face better if one draws it.

315. "Why do you demand explanations? If they are given to you, you will once more be facing a terminus. They cannot get you any further than you are at present."

362. These people are acquainted with reddish green--"But there is no such thing!"--What an extraordinary sentence.--(How do you know?)

363. Let's just put it like this: Must people notice the discrepancy? Perhaps they are too stupid. And again: perhaps not that either.--

372. One imagines the feeble-minded under the aspects of the degenerate, the essentially incomplete, as it were in tatters. And so under that of disorder instead of a more primitive order (which would be a far more fruitful way of looking at them). We just don't see a society of such people.

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGqrvn3q1oo

5 comments:

  1. Drawing as thinking. Learning as leaning in to see the face better. These are powerful metaphors. Leaning into the other's face could even include kissing, which is a special kind of learning. I think you are onto something here. Immense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, fine, but this is all Ludwig (Zettel), not me. Yes yes I agree Ludwig was on to something and that almost no one gets it except for, perhaps, Golden Age scientists. I read Wittgenstein on the toilet: this tells a woman all there is that my soul can possibly reveal.

    Also, in the second part, the man singing, that is indeed me, but when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIND blowing, and the beauty in my life now, related to these ideas, is the equal importance of all observed and unobserved phenomena, which goes against our cultural-societal value system of bigger vehicles and shinier objects that have more 'value' -- nope, wrong, and a waste of effort allowing me to run faster and jump higher and fuck more passionately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. South American women, being women of the greatest distance from humanity's African origin, have the genetic makeup of being the greatest and most successful risk-takers, as well as some of the hardiest humans.

    Add to this that many do not speak English, have never visited America, and have received no education beyond some form of high school, makes them a wonderful complement to my Scandanavian, over-educated, America-corrupted genes and outlook.

    A passionate savage will save me.
    A passionate savage can save you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lean in
    I expect
    to find the dark woman
    already leaning in
    to meet me.

    ReplyDelete